Wednesday, December 19, 2012

Needing help

Breastfeeding is not going well.  I am currently pumping as I write this, thanks to a hands free pumping bra.  G doesn't do well at the breast, and I believe it's due to our supplementing her early on.  I feel like a failure.  I hate having her cry and then work herself up to a full blow panic cry when she's at the breast.  We've been having some luck with using a nipple shield, but it's so cumbersome and she always manages to flip it off, which frustrates me.  So far, I've met with a lactation consultant, been to two LLL meetings, had numerous talks with people who all have various opinions of what I should be doing to make it work.  And it's so. frustrating.  Starting last night at midnight, I've been trying to pump every three hours.  Between that and feeding G a bottle, I didn't get much sleep at all.  I hate to complain, but I don't know what to do.  Should I quit?  I feel so at peace with just giving her the bottle, but only because it's peaceful doing it, and she actually eats.  Otherwise, I would want to do breastfeeding because it's definitely healthier and overall better for her.  

Please say prayers for me.  Should I keep pressing on?  

3 comments:

  1. Were you able to get any help from the lactation consultant? Do they know what the problem is? I know pumping sucks big time, but she's still getting the nutritional benefits of breast milk that way. You could also check locally to see if there is a breast milk donation bank, if you are not able to pump but still want to give her milk. Sometimes women donate their surplus milk. I think the page on FB is called Human Milk for Human Babies or something like that.

    One tip I got when C was having trouble at first was to strip her to her diaper when breastfeeding, and get as much skin to skin with her on your chest as possible. Does G have problems latching?

    DON'T blame yourself, you are NOT a failure. ANY breastmilk at all that you have been able to give her is awesome, especially early on like this. If she's gaining weight okay, and is healthy, that's the true victory. Hang in there mama!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with Hebrews. There's nothing wrong with continuing to pump and feeding her pumped milk from a bottle. The first 6 weeks are the hardest. I'd encourage you to try and stick it out for that long, then see how things are going and decide what is best for you and her.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh girl! I know I haven't commented on here before... but I feel your pain! My son George is now 9 1/2 weeks and we have had breastfeeding problems from the start. It is so much harder than I ever imagined. I wrote about it right after he was born on my blog briefly. The comments people wrote were really helpful and made me feel better. It's been a long road since then. I am mainly doing a lot of pumping and feeding him my milk from a bottle, as he does not have a good latch and I have low supply, which affects his ability to draw them milk from my breast. It is exhausting - both physically and mentally.

    What did the LC say... did the LLL meetings help? Did they have any suggestions?

    And you are doing great!! You are NOT a failure!! You have a BEAUTIFUL daughter and that is not failing at all!!

    ReplyDelete