Monday, January 28, 2013

Live in the Moment

Why is it so hard to live in the moment?  Why do I always seem to look forward to the next thing, waiting for things to be brighter and happier?  Yesterday I had a great day.  Today, I feel like crying. I am wondering more and more if I need to go back on my anxiety medication.

The homily at Mass yesterday got me thinking about how I don't live in the moment very well.  The deacon told a story about a woman who was first "dying to graduate high school" then "dying to get married" then, "dying for the kids to grow up so she could go back to work" and then, yes, you guessed it, she was just plain "dying". He said that it was on her death bed that she realized she never really "lived each day".  So now I wonder, why is it SO hard to live in the moment?  

I came home from Mass and went to my little daughter, who was crying when I walked in the door.  My husband stayed home with her and we've been going to different Mass times since she was born.  I think we'll start going all three of us soon.  ANYWAY, I went straight to sweet G and picked her up and soaked in all her crying, red face and all, and just told my honey how much I love her.  I really wanted to live the moment.  The crying, the uncertainty and all.  Everything.  I don't want to wish any of it away for an easier time with her anymore.  I don't even want to wish the many many bottle that pile up in our kitchen away.  I don't want to wish the uncertain nap times, feeding times or even the formula that I have to dump out because G didn't want to finish that last 1 1/2 oz. and the hour of expiration has come.  I don't want to wish even that away for some easier, cleaner, less busy time.  There will always be things that make me uncomfortable, I think that's just life. Now to learn  to embrace this beautiful, messy life and live each moment to the fullest.


1 comment:

  1. Love this! I have to remind myself sometimes, when I look forward to "x" hour, or "x" day that this time is going to go SO fast!
    Great resolution!

    ReplyDelete